Sunday, August 21, 2011

its a kinda magic

It only took me 3 years but I finally got the "magic gear" set up to work on my Centurion Single Speed Cross Disaster Transport Bike. I was reading a very brief interview with Adam Craig in the 12th issue of Cyclocross magazine, in which he swore by the use of a magic gear for his single speed cyclocross national championship bike. This got the old tinkerbox thinking, and an afternoon later I had something that one would call a success.

The magic gear allows a single speed setup on a bike with vertical dropouts without the use of a chaintensioner. Sheldon Brown best describes it here. 44x20 with a 1/8th chain is the magic setup apparently. I must stress that this does not agree with the Infotoobz Magic Gear Calculatoro 6000 . But whats important is that it works. Now, what to do with three single speed chain tensioners??..... Bike is running smooth...need to get some pictures......stilll

I ran into a local crosser the other day who presented me with some bitttersweet news about the new NEOCX single speed category. The good part was that by combining those who I know that plan to race sscx and those that he knew, all added up to more than 5 sscx racers. So maybe at one, or more of the upcoming races there will be a SSCX cat. The bummer part is, those that he knew are all fast as hell. Like cat 2 lightening boltz. ...... basically eliminating all my dreams of getting a W.

No comments: