Monday, October 18, 2010

solon crc cyclocross race

The course resembled the upper levels of the game snake where the snake had grown far too long for the screen and is forced to double back on itself ad nauseum. So many left hand turns Aye-Carumba! Early on in the second lap a racer on a blue steelman or dieringer went down in front of me, I saw this happen all in slow motion, and then I plowed into him and unintentionally stepped all over his expensive wheels. I really hope I didn't mess anything up on his rig. I didn't stop to check, again raising the question of sportsmanship. After picking up my bike I ran 4 yards or so around one of the 900 turns and immediately slipped and hit the deck, bike in hand. The course was so knotted and turny that it was pretty hard to find a good place to pass someone. The pecking order didn't change much, I spent 85% of the race trying to catch one team spin rider, and just couldn't. On the last lap, near the same spot that I trampled over the wrecked steelman, the racer in front of me snapped the tape which immediately recoiled and wrapped itself all throughout my front wheel. In an o-crap frenzy I had to stop and pull the tape out, of course not thinking to logically unwrap the tape and instead just pulling frantically at whatever strand of tape I could grab until it was wrenched free.
Again I have no idea where I placed, I assume somewhere in the middle of the pack. I feel this course was not an adequate test of converting to gears as i hardly shifted maybe once the entire race. In other news I was C racer Dave's birthday so they grilled out and gave me a free veggie burger. And it was also Jay Karp's first race back after hernia surgery, and he got a top 10 finish! Major props going his way.

No comments: